Before the Business Analyst (BA) begins working, many decisions are made at the Enterprise level. Business needs, problems or opportunities must be identified; the basic nature of appropriate solutions to these problems must be understood; and the necessary investments must be justified prior to commencement of any projects.
This course, designed around the Enterprise Analysis knowledge area identified by the International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA®), will introduce you to the complex world of project decision-making. Why is this project happening? What business requirements will this project satisfy? The strategic thinking that goes into project scoping and feasibility studies will permeate the project to its completion, and affect every aspect of the BA’s project work.
This course will benefit business analysts, executives, functional managers, project managers, programmers interested in expanding their effectiveness, and any other individuals involved in project work.
Upon completion of the course, you will:
- Understand the importance of the effort that is required to define a business need
- Be able to contribute significantly to a Feasibility Study
- Understand the methodologies of Project Scoping
- Be able to assist in the preparation of the Business Case for a project
Enterprise Analysis Overview
- Strategic Planning and Goal Setting
- Strategic Role of the BA
- Defining the Business Need
- Assessing the Capability Gap
- Determining the Solution Approach
- What is Business Architecture?
- Maintaining the Business Architecture
- Stakeholders, Deliverables and Techniques
- Knowledge and Skills
- Process of a Feasibility Study
Defining Solution Scope
- Project Management Skills
- Definition and Decomposition
- New Business -- Opportunity or Problem?
Preparing the Business Case
- What is the Business Case?
- Benefit and Cost Assessment
- Financial Analysis Methods
- Portfolio Management
- Project Selection and Prioritization
IIBA Knowledge Areas Addressed:
- Enterprise Analysis
Project Management Institute (PMI)® A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide)--Fifth Edition Knowledge Areas Addressed:
- Project Scope Management
- Project Cost Management