The purpose of this 7-hour course is to describe the methodologies of project management to non-PMs that are involved in projects but do not hold the role of a project manager. Attendees of this course will learn techniques to assist with getting their job done, without learning a whole new profession.
This course is intended for people who are leading project teams but have no experience working as project managers
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Organize their work effectively
- Understand the nature and extent of the work
- Determine the schedule for the work
- Predict problems and solve them in advance
- Work effectively with clients and suppliers
- Communicate with all in an efficient manner
Why Bother Organizing Your Work?
- Why not just wing it?
- What does the organizer have to do?
- How will you answer this question: How are things going?
How to Start Organizing
- Who do you need to talk to?
- Who is going to do the work?
- What paperwork is needed to get things going?
What Work are you Going to Do?
- What outcome are you looking for?
- What individual things need to get done to achieve the outcome?
- What work needs to take place to get these things done?
How Long Will the Work Take?
- What order do those tasks have to take place in?
- How long will this take?
- Can some things be done at the same time?
- How do we put all that together onto a calendar?
How do we Make Sure the Work Meets the Standard?
- What does quality mean, anyway?
- How do we measure the results for quality?
- How do we talk about the quality?
Dealing with Clients and Suppliers
- Why does it have to be in writing?
- What different types of contracts are there?
- What do we do when things go off the rails?
How do we Identify Problems Before They Happen?
- Why bother identifying problems in advance?
- How do we find all these potential problems?
- Once we have a list, what do we do with it?
- Why don’t these people understand me?
- What can I do about difficult people?
- Who needs to know about this project?
- How do I make sure everyone knows what is going on?
- How do I know when things are not going well?
- What do I do to fix these problems?
- What do I do when I can’t fix these problems and need to escalate higher?