Rick Clare is the Business Analysis Practice Director and Senior Instructor for PMCentersUSA, and a Partner and Senior Project Management/Business Analysis Consultant for ConsultUSA. In his position as Practice Director, Rick is responsible for maintaining the business analysis courseware and developing customized training material for private clients. In his role as Senior Consultant, Rick assists ConsultUSA's many IT clients on key projects of varying size and scope. He also leverages his expertise in the field of project management and business analysis to assist ConsultUSA deliver its staffing solution engagements.
In addition to serving as a consultant, instructor and presenter on project management and business analysis related topics, Rick worked in Information Technology for more than 25 years as a developer, trainer, project manager, business analyst and functional manager. He started in IT while he was in the army in 1988 and has a great deal of technical experience to back up his management and analysis skills. His projects have spanned several industries, including; Hospital Administration, Certification Test Administration, Healthcare Insurance, Retail, Banking and Financial Services.
Rick is routinely invited as a speaker by companies and professional organizations wishing to take advantage of his experience and entertaining speaking style. Rick has presented at many Project Management Institute (PMI)® and International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA)® chapter events as well as numerous conferences, such as Oracle's Independent Oracle Users Group (IOUG), the Oracle Developer Tools User Group (ODTUG) conference, the Building Business Capabilities Conference, the Project Management/Business Analysis World conference, and the PMI® Global Congress.
Rick has worked extensively with the International Institute of Business Analysis. He served as Vice President of Chapters at the international level for two years - the senior volunteer position in IIBA®. He led the IIBA® Chapter Development Committee and orchestrated work, contributed to, and served as editor of the IIBA® Managing Business Analysts, a book consisting of the views from a wide variety of experts in the BA arena and full of advice and guidance on how to manage BAs. Rick received the IIBA® highest award for volunteer work during the Building Business Capability conference in 2011.
Rick is a PMI® certified Project Management Professional (PMP)®, one of the first Certified Business Analysis Professionals (CBAP)® in the world, a Certified ScrumMaster® (CSM), and an Oracle Certified Professional (OCP). Rick earned his Master's degree in Project Management (MSPM) from Northeastern University and is a graduate of the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. He also holds numerous technical certifications.
Below is a list of Rick's recent presentations. Presentations and publications prior to 2013 are available upon request.
- High Performance Virtual Teams Pittsburgh Chapter of PMI, January 2013
- Top 10 Risk Mistakes Federated Investors Pittsburgh, February 2013
- PM Profession Duquesne University PM Group, February 2013
- BA Career Path Pittsburgh Chapter of IIBA, March 2013
- The Plan’s Journey from Scope to WBS to Schedule Pittsburgh Chapter of PMI IT LIG, March 2013
- How BAs and PMs Make Each Other Great Pittsburgh Chapter of PMI FS LIG, June 2013
- Schedule Resolution Techniques PNC PM PDD, October 2013
- Top 10 Execution Mistakes Pittsburgh Chapter of PMI PDD, November 2013
- Business Analysis Leadership IIBA BBC Conference, November 2013
- Agile Myths North Carolina Chapter of PMI, March 2014
- Top 10 Project Disconnects Philadelphia CIO Forum, June 2014
- Analytical Thinking Pittsburgh Chapter of IIBA, October 2014
- Top 10 Project Disconnects Pittsburgh Chapter of PMI PDD, November 2014
- Estimating BA Tasks Federated Investors, November 2014
- Top 10 Risk Mistakes Pittsburgh Chapter of PMI Coffee, January 2015
- Functional Requirements Pittsburgh Chapter of IIBA@GE, May 2015
- Top 10 Project Disconnects Cleveland CIO Forum, June 2015
- BABOK 3.0 PNC BA PDD, August 2015
- Risk Management – A Case Study Pittsburgh Chapter of PMI PDD, September 2015
- Prototyping PNC PM PDD, September 2015
- Problem Projects Pittsburgh Chapter of PMI FS LIG, December 2015
- User Stories Pittsburgh Chapter of IIBA, April 2016
- Quality Tools PNC BA PDD, August 2016
- Negotiation Techniques Pittsburgh Chapter of PMI FS LIG, October 2016
- Agile Myths Pittsburgh Chapter of IIBA, March 2017
- The Customer Relationship in IT PNC PM PDD, October 2017
- SCRUM – A Case Study Pittsburgh Chapter of IIBA, May 2018
- Functional Requirements PNC BA PDD, September 2018